Loving God Above All Else

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 0 comments

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:26).



God calls us to uphold two great commandments above all else: Love God and love others. It would not be in His character to ask us to hate anyone. So what does this verse mean?

Matthew 10:37 says something similar: "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Barnes' Notes on the Bible explains:

"Christ must be loved supremely, or He is not loved at all. If we are not willing to give up all earthly possessions, and forsake all earthly friends, and if we do not obey Him rather than all others, we have no true attachment to Him."

I have encountered many counseling situations that illuminated the truth of these verses. For example, a young woman who I had mentored briefly in the past contacted me. I hadn't heard from her for months, because she generally didn't like what I had to say about how she was living her life. She looks to men constantly to fill the God-shaped vacuum in her heart. In her early 20s, she has already been divorced and has a child.

In a Facebook message, she informed me she just became engaged, and wants to get together with my husband and me so we can meet her fiance. I did not respond right away; I knew I needed to seek the Lord about what to say to her, and I prayed her heart would be receptive.

I told my friend it would not be a good idea to meet her fiance until she and I had a chance to talk first. I told her I was sorry to hear that she is still running from God and into the arms of men, looking for fulfillment in all the wrong places. I said I was willing to meet with her, but would understand if she didn't want to after reading my note.

This is what I think Jesus means by loving Him more than others. It means doing the hard thing. It means not glibly saying, "Congratulations on your engagement!" when you know that's the worst thing that could be happening. It means upholding God's standards, rather than responding the way the rest of the world might respond.

I would have done my friend a grave disservice by pretending to be happy about an impending marriage that -- unless God intervenes in a big way -- is doomed before it begins. Someone has to tell her the truth. Lots of people have tried, most notably her dear parents, but to no avail.

Surprisingly, my friend responded that yes, she would like to meet with me. I am praying for wisdom. I so want her to know how much God loves her, and that she doesn't have to feed on the garbage thrown to the pigs any longer. She can come HOME, and be embraced with open arms by the God who knit her together in her mother's womb.

May we all endeavor to hold out the truth of God's Word, no matter what we face. Anything we do in our flesh will not bring about God's best.