Who Are You to Talk Back to God?

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 0 comments

Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use? (Romans 9:21)

In this chapter of Romans, Paul anguishes that the  Jewish people are enemies of the gospel -- so much so that he wishes himself cursed and cut off from Christ for their sake (vs. 3).

He mentions Pharaoh, and how God hardened his heart "that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth" (vs. 17). The Jews could then argue, as they were very adept at doing, that they are not to blame because "who can resist God's will?" (vs. 19).

Paul knew his audience. He knew how prideful the Jews were, and how set on making their own path to salvation. Not content to embrace the gospel of grace, they continued to insist that they were inherently better simply because they were Jews.

How often, I wonder, do we as Christians do the same thing? Oh yes, we say we are saved by the blood of Jesus, and in that way may be a step ahead of the Jews. But do we harbor that same stubborn pride in our hearts, that smugness that makes us think we are better than others simply because we are Christians? I know I have.

Though we bear the name of Christ, we allow society to dictate our identity and our sense of importance. Those who hold masters or doctorate degrees may deem themselves somehow a cut above those who only have bachelors degrees or have never attended college. Senior pastors may bristle at the thought of visiting someone in the hospital because that is the job of one of their elders or deacons. People with money may be esteemed more highly in the local church, because of what their money can DO for the congregation.

I love verse 21 because it handily puts all this nonsense in the proper perspective. Think about pottery for just a minute. A "noble" piece of pottery may be a beautiful vase on display at the Guggenheim Museum in New York. A "common" piece of pottery would be...hmmm...perhaps a chamber pot? You know, those handy little vessels that people had to use before we had the luxury of flush toilets?

See how quickly we categorize things as noble or common, beautiful or...well...unmentionable? Paul knows the hearts of men, and turns the focus on the Creator rather than the creation. Whether we are Jew or Gentile, educated or uneducated, wealthy or indigent -- we were all created by God and in His image. Our focus should not be on what we can do or how much money we can make, but on submitting ourselves daily to God, and asking Him to fulfill His purposes in and through us.

Am I willing to be a chamber pot for the sake of the gospel? Or do I have delusions of grandeur, and prefer to be recognized and praised by men? I confess to the latter. But as I read Romans 9 in my devotions last week, the thought of being a chamber pot started to become more appealing. Why should I think that I am "above" being a certain thing for my Savior's sake? He emptied himself and became nothing for me, and I would like to do the same for Him.