How Long, Sovereign Lord?

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 0 comments


"Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated. The world was not worthy of them" (Hebrews 11:36-38).

What a sobering passage -- and how starkly different we Christians in America live! Is our behavior as Christ followers so like our Lord's that people can truthfully say, "The world was not worthy of them"? For me personally, the answer is a resounding NO.

I much prefer to be surrounded by comfort. I have a precious family -- a wonderful husband, sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren, as well as extended family that is very dear to me. Can't I just focus on all the good things in my life and not think about suffering and persecution?

No, I can't. Hebrews 13:3 exhorts us: "Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." I am to REMEMBER them -- not put it out of my mind because it's uncomfortable to think about.

Saeed Abedini is an American pastor who has been imprisoned in Iran since 2012. In September, he wrote a beautiful letter to his daughter on her eighth birthday. In it, he addresses questions we all have asked of God at one time or another:
God is in control of the whole world and everything that is happening in it is for His good purpose, for His glory, and will be worked out for our good (Romans 8:28). Jesus allows me to be kept here for His glory. He is doing something inside each of us and also outside in the world. People die and suffer for their Christian faith all over the world and some may wonder why? But you should know the answer of WHY is WHO. It is for Jesus. He is worth the price. And He has a plan to be glorified through our lives...The confusion of “WHY has all of this happened?” and “WHY your prayers are not answered yet” is resolved with understanding WHO is in control…LORD JESUS CHRIST, our GOD!
"The answer of why is WHO." Saeed stressed this more than once in his letter. I think the point he is trying to make is that our focus should not be on circumstances and why they are happening, but on Who is in control.

Our pastor is currently preaching a series of sermons on Revelation, and recently talked about the fifth seal:
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?”
This is the cry of my heart as I pray for pastors like Saeed, who has a wife and two children. It is the cry of my heart for dear friends who are currently in one of the biggest battles of their lives, assailed by what Scripture calls "fiery darts" of the enemy -- but in their case those darts seem more like javelins piercing their hearts. They are waging a major spiritual battle, and my husband and I are in it with them. As our pastor asked, "How long, Sovereign Lord?", I suddenly began to weep. I had no control over it -- the Holy Spirit came upon me and I began to weep quietly for all those who are being tormented and harassed by the one who comes to steal, kill and destroy.

It is wonderful to have blessings -- and I have far too many to count. But as you gather with family and friends this Christmas, take time to pray for those less fortunate. Remember Pastor Saeed and his wife and kids. Remember Hannelie Groenewald, a physician whose husband and two children were killed just last week by the Taliban in Afghanistan. Werner Groenewald was a South African aid worker who had been helping Afghans through education and development projects since 2002. Remember men, women and children who are victims of human  trafficking. Remember the families left behind when their loved ones are senselessly killed, victims of police brutality.

I don't intend to be morbid, but it's so easy to get lost in the frivolity of the holiday season that we almost forget -- in my case I WANT to forget -- that fellow believers are dying out there. Take time to educate yourself by visiting Voice of the Martyrs or Open Doors. Dare to sign up for their e-mail updates, so you can be equipped to pray more intentionally and effectively. 

Our intercession may be the lifeline our brothers and sisters need to hang on and endure.