Live Sacrificially in 2014

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 1 comments



Recently in my devotions I was reading from 2 Samuel 24. David had sinned against the Lord, and was instructed by Gad to build an altar. David set about his task immediately. He asked a man named  Araunah to sell him his threshing floor, which would become the site of the altar.

Since David was the king, Araunah humbly bowed before him, and told David he could have the threshing floor free of charge. David's response is what I want to focus on today: "I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing."

What does it mean to sacrifice to God offerings that cost me nothing? It could mean any number of things. It could mean my "devotional time" is a few seconds at the end of a busy day, rather than rising while it is still dark to soak in His presence before the day begins. It could mean doing everything I want to do with "my" money, and tossing Him the crumbs I have leftover. It could mean only ministering to the needy when it fits conveniently into my schedule.

The missing link in these scenarios is that no sacrifice is involved -- and sacrifice is precisely what Jesus calls us to do. Rising while it is still dark may mean getting less sleep. Giving to God the first fruits of your finances (as we are instructed to do in Proverbs 3:9) may mean sacrifice in other areas of your spending. Being available to God 24 hours a day requires sacrifice. He may awaken you at 2 a.m. to pray for somebody. An acquaintance from church may call in the middle of the night, desperate for prayer and some words of encouragement. You may need to visit someone in the hospital, when you would prefer to enjoy an evening at home with family.

David was unwilling to offer to God that which cost him nothing. Yet many Christians prefer to remain in their comfort zones, and wince at the thought of sacrificing their time or money.

Romans 12:1 urges us to offer our very bodies as living sacrifices. My prayer for 2014 is that Christians everywhere would desire to "be filled with all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:19). I pray that we would remember that we are not our own; we were bought with the precious blood of Jesus (1 Corinthians 6:20) and are to honor Him in all that we do.

Instead of focusing on our possessions and how many more things we think we need, let's think of how little we can get by with, in order that we may bless someone else less fortunate. Instead of hoarding our savings, consider giving sacrificially to a worthwhile ministry, or travel to a third-world country yourself and be broken bread and poured-out wine to the poverty-stricken and HIV-infected.

The opportunities are endless. All Jesus requires of us is that we be completely HIS.