Who Gave You That?! Put It Down!

Posted in By Hannah 0 comments

When working with children, you get to say some of the grossest phrases ever uttered. Like when you see the little cutie eating something you can't even identify. "Where did you get that? Who gave you that? Put that down!"

My mom said that I once tried to bite the tick off an old stray hound dog. My reasoning? Apparently, it looked like a grape.

Kids are gross, guys, but they are so innocent. Once you tell them it's bad news, they steer clear. They search for answers and accept answers without fear, worry or doubt. This is why I try to be so childlike in faith and life. I pray I never stop asking questions, and yeah, sometimes making a fool of myself. I am glad I still have a lot to learn and I'm thankful I have a God that is never done teaching me.

The morning after the big storm, my daughter, Missouri, curled up on the couch with me and started to snuggle. As I sipped my coffee and fumbled through my phone, Missouri snuggled closer and I could sense she had something to say.

"What's up, baby cakes?" I inquired.
"Nothing," she spouted quickly, than reluctantly said, "Actually, I was really scared last night. I had the worst dream and I really wanted to come get you."
"Aw, sweetie, why didn't you?"
"Because I realized something. You said God did not give us a spirit of fear," she said boldly, "So if He didn't give that to me, I don't want it."



"For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

Did you know one of the Lord's many names is the Prince of Peace? Read about it in Isaiah 9. The Lord wants us to live in a world of peace and trust. He knows that without Him, that world is not possible.

Paul beckons the church in Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
.
So what are you worried about today? Have you considered fasting those fears and worries? Yes, fast them. When worry wanders into your thoughts and wreaks havoc in your head, kick those fears to the curb and pray for God's peace that will surpass the understanding of the situation.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." You don't need to carry around all these troubles and fears. God says He will provide for us what we need, when we need it. In fact, that is one of His other names; Jehovah Jireh, which means God my Provider (Genesis 22:14).

This week, do a quick heart check. Are you living in fear rather than living in His peace? Sometimes life makes us all feel a little timid, but you can't keep moving if you're scared stiff. Let the peace that passes understanding surround your head and do not let your heart be troubled. If you are feeling consumed with fear or crippled by worry, proclaim with confidence that God did not give you that fear, and if He didn't hand it to you, you don't need to carry it around.

It's time to return that gift the devil gave you, and exchange it for something good, noble, pure and right. It's time to let go of being afraid and start feeling the art of active self-control. If my 7-year-old can figure it out, believers, so can we.

Let's pray for power and love and kick that fear back to where it belongs.