Jesus...my Superhero

Posted in By brigitte 1 comments



I have a 4 year old boy (Turtle). He digs superheroes. He will disappear at any given time during the day only to reappear dressed in one of his superhero costumes: Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man. It’s adorable.

What the hubby and I found so funny is how Turtle was immediately drawn to superheroes before we had even shown him one cartoon, comic book, or figurine. He must have seen them on another kid’s shoes or backpack and BAM! ZAP! BOOM! He was hooked.




Now I don’t know if you are one of those ‘superheroes are from the devil’ kinds of people. I assure you, I am not. My kid has my full permission to explore the imaginary worlds from Lord of the Rings, Iron Man, Harry Potter, Batman and the like. Turtle loves to pretend he is a hero who can save the day. He imagines his own villain fights where he swoops in and saves me from the bad guy. It’s not only really stinkin’ cute, it’s childlike faith on full display. No, there is nothing wrong with a little make-believe.

I’m sure some of you disagree and are checking out. I’m ok with that. You know what opinions are like…we all have one.

Superheroes are not of the devil. They do not distract or confuse my child about Jesus…
In fact, superheroes are actually an amazing way to teach my kiddo about his true Savior…and that has also been a huge lesson for me.

I want to be drawn to Jesus with child-like faith and awe. I long to be so in love with Him and mirror everything he does. I want to clothe myself in his character, talk his talk, and learn all his moves. When we approach the scriptures with child-like faith, eagerness, excitement, astoundment; when we clothe ourselves in the righteousness of God…we can conquer any villain! God has fully equipped us with all the super powers we need to withstand our sinful nature, the attacks of satan, and the hurts this life brings.

Be sure of this…trouble will come. Upon whose power will you rely?

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his MIGHTY power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:10-18 (emphasis mine)

We can read this passage to our son and make the connections between the armor of God and any superhero costume. We can talk to Turtle about how each superhero has one special super power; that God gives us each a special gift just like that in order to serve and glorify Him with our life. And we can talk about the fact that Jesus Christ is the original Super Hero…He has ALL the cool super powers! Every one we will ever need to save us from the bad guys.

See…It’s a choice. I can choose to let my kid idolize fictional heroes or I can choose to point him to Jesus. On the flip side, I can choose to forbid my child from viewing, reading, associating with any such fictional nonsense and watch my child shrivel as he is tormented by his peers and judged for being judgmental. The Bible teaches that we are not to be OF this world…but there is no getting around having to live IN it. Ignorance of the ‘dark side’ is not an option, people.

Yes, Jesus is my superhero. I find adventure, kindness, and miraculous displays of power on every page of His story.

Jesus is the one who…

…turned water into wine (John 2)
…fed 5,000 with two fish and five loaves of bread (John 6:5-14)
…walked on water (Mt 4:22-33)
…saved an adulterous woman from death by stoning (John 7:53-8:11)
…calmed a raging storm with by speaking a word (Lk 8:22-25)
…raised the decaying Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-45)
…defeated death by taking the full weight and penalty of the sins of all mankind, hung on a cross to die, and   raised to life again on the third day (John 19:28-20:9)

Can I get an Amen? That is one Superhero Savior!
(cue cool theme song...aka Hallelujah chorus) (pretty girl swoons...big sigh)

Jesus is all we will ever need. May we run to him in childlike faith and filled with wonder. 

THE END