9/11 and Babies

Posted in By Unknown 0 comments

If you have a calendar you can clearly see what day it is and chances are you have very specific memories about September 11, 2001.

I was in the 6th grade. I remember being really confused about what was happening. I learned about the attacks in one class and then in all my other classes we watched the news footage. It was unreal.

To be honest, I had never heard of the World Trade Center buildings. But I saw them so many times as the footage was played again and again. It was a confusing time for a 6th grader.

After a few days of watching the news in school I remember thinking, "alright, I know it happened. I've seen this all before...can I please play my trumpet in band again?" Obviously I didn't wrap my mind around the fact that 3000 people had died and their family and friends were still grieving. I couldn't understand that we were going to war.

Every year since then we have spent today remembering what happened that day. A lot of things have changed in our country as a result of that attack. We can argue whether they are good or bad changes but they have happened.

It's good to remember. As long as we aren't remembering by living in the past and not moving forward.

My brother is serving in the Air Force and is currently stationed in England. Today, he and his wife welcomed their first child into this world. He's just 3 1/2 hours old as I type this (and it's a good thing you aren't in the room because I may be crying). Here is part of my brother's Facebook status, "So.... I know everyone is excited and all, however I believe the excitement is outmatched here in this hospital room." 

Ridiculously sweet.

I couldn't be more excited for them! They are celebrating life today!

I went to an FCA meeting at the high school today and mentioned to a few students that my nephew might be born today. One said, "oh...that'll be awkward." But how? Why is it awkward to celebrate this new life today?

As a country we do remember those events that took place 12 years ago. We remember to help us move forward. We remember the sacrifices that were made to encourage ourselves to live sacrificially. We remember the lives of those in the buildings to remind ourselves that we are never guaranteed tomorrow. So we live the most out of our today (as Christians, that includes pursuing Christ's plan for our lives).

We should remember the lives lost, and celebrate the new life all around us. It helps push us forward. It brings a smile to our faces. It challenges us to be the best we can be.