What A Difference a Continent Makes

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 1 comments

Last week I concluded a 3-part series about the recent trip my husband and I took to South Africa. The picture at the right was taken at one of the schools where we washed children's feet and gave them new shoes. By the time we were through, the water was rust-colored from washing so many dusty little feet. Some of the kids wore shoes but others did not. All were given crocs to wear, which are perfect because they are easily wiped clean.

Fast forward to a similar outreach I participated in a week ago at a local school. After what I witnessed in South Africa, this was quite a change. For starters, none of the children whose feet I measured were in need of a foot washing. They hadn't walked to school in bare feet on dusty dirt roads. Many of the kids were overweight, and I don't think I saw a single overweight child in South Africa.

The other stark difference was in the shoes these kids wore. In some instances, I wondered why we were providing them with new shoes -- one kid proudly exhibited his Air Jordan high-tops, which sell for anywhere from $100 to $200 and up. I thought to myself, this kid needs new shoes? A little girl came wearing what appeared to be a brand new pair of multi-colored New Balance sneakers.

The kids in South Africa were so excited and grateful to be getting a new pair of shoes. Not so much here in America. After all, who wants a $30 pair of Converse sneakers when you can have Air Jordans?

There seems to be a pervasive sense of entitlement in this country, and sadly, that was evident even in these elementary school children. Some seemed annoyed that they had to have their feet measured, and others argued that I didn't write down the right size. I assured them that at the next station, they would try on an actual shoe to be sure I measured correctly.

It is vital that we raise our children to be grateful for all they have -- and to not give them an overabundance. At our granddaughters' joint birthday party in June, our son wisely requested no gifts. Our granddaughters have plenty of toys and tiaras and dolls, and parents are wise to know when enough is enough.

Our kids need to be grounded spiritually more desperately than they need material possessions. Remember Deuteronomy 11:19? Speaking of "these words of Mine," God says we are to "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

I wish I'd done more of that. I taught our sons the importance of going to church and doing all the "Christian stuff," but I don't think I invested nearly enough time talking with them about God and His Word, and the wonder of dying to ourselves so we can be filled with Him and live our lives as He would have us live them.

Parents, do you need to make some changes in how you communicate love to your kids? They need your time and your presence more than anything else. They need you to be living examples of people who take up their cross daily to follow Jesus. Read the Bible with them and engage them in active discussion of what it means and how they might apply it to their lives. As they get older, teach them that they are not their own, because they were purchased with the precious blood of Jesus and are to honor Him with their bodies. For girls, that may mean dressing more modestly than their peers. Boys need to be encouraged to stand strong and pure in a culture saturated with perverted sexuality.

Don't let the television or computer be a babysitter for your kids. Be sure you are their main source of godly counsel. And from a very early age, teach them gratitude and the joy of giving to others.