Just Admit It Already!

Posted in By Hannah 0 comments

There was a point in my life, or well, let's be honest, several points, where I was spiraling out of control. Doing, saying, being the very things I knew contradicted my faith, but the worst of the worst was my absolute failure to admit I had done anything wrong.

As I spiraled out of God's will and into my own wants and desires, I had the tendency to grab a hold and throw others under the bus. They did it to me. They hurt me. They. I did not want to admit fault, perhaps because I was so deceived I believed I was completely innocent. It was never me. I never did anything wrong. It was my unwillingness to admit fault that caused me to stay put on that rock bottom for so long.

But funny things happen when you open up, stop playing a character and get real about yourself. You admit you do things wrong. You admit you walk away from the Lord. You continue to walk away, because you can't admit your fault.

The cycle continues, and will continue, until you can admit you were wrong. Admitting guilt is not good times, but getting out of the dumps and back on track is as easy as ABC. Say what? Yes. 1.Admit you were wrong. 2. Believe He is faithful to forgive. 3. Carry on seeking the Lord.

We make it a lot harder than it is, because we cover and mask with layers. You got so many lies going on you don't even know what you believe, but you are sure you did nothing wrong ... so why is nothing going right?

Recently, I heard about a dear friend who went into a full blown drunken disgrace. I'm not talking about a night out at a wild party with one too many. No, he has been straggling in the same drink, drank, drunk pattern for years now. It's more than just an occasional beer, this is a habitual drunken lifestyle, with rigid repercussions. This month, in his belligerence he drank, got way drunk and decided it was a stellar idea to go ahead and bike to work. Not surprisingly, upon arrival he was promptly fired and within a few days, without income, he struggled to pay rent. He has continued to struggle because he flat out refuses that he has a problem.

You see, he can't admit his fault and so he can't get out of this rut. He continues to feel God has left him and yet refuses to see where he wandered away from the Lord. I want to shake him and say, "God doesn't leave!" His refusal to admit his own faults makes him blind to the truth and hope that surround. He has no choice but to continue on this dangerous path, because he can't admit he made a wrong turn.

It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Friend, perhaps your downward spiral, your constant conflict, might just be the warning that you have been wrong. Now is the time to check your heart, admit your fault and return to the Lord.

"Return, faithless Israel," declares the Lord. "I will not look on you in anger, for I am merciful," declares the Lord; "I will not be angry forever. Only acknowledge your guilt, that you rebelled against the Lord your God and scattered your favors among foreigners under every green tree, and that you have not obeyed my voice, declares the Lord" (Jeremiah 3:12-13).

Believers, all have sinned and sin is ugly. John 1:8-10 reminds us that God is faithful when we confess to Him our faults and failures. And James 5:16 urges us to confess to each other and pray for one another. It's when we pretend we do no wrong that we essentially call the Lord a liar and His word is no longer in our life. Yikes. No wonder we feel so isolated and left alone. And yet all He wants is for us to admit and return. He'll take care of the rest.

So here it is, your wake up call. The mask you are wearing cannot cover up how ugly sin looks. It's time to take off the mask, quit the downward spiral and just admit you were wrong.