A shock to our culture shock

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

On a rare, impromptu visit to my grandparents' house last evening, I got a rare opportunity to see something I wasn't sure was possible outside of the church realm. There's a new program on Game Show Network called, "American Bible Challenge". Hosted by Jeff Foxworthy, teams of three compete on behalf of a chosen charity to see how much they know about the Bible.

The contestants are given an opportunity to tell their story in the opening sequences of the show. In the pilot episode, viewers were treated to the story of a man who was given a new life by heart transplant, a woman who was experiencing God's mercy through a child with extreme scoliosis, and a group of strong men and women who use their muscles in a mission around the country.

In a culture riddled with 'me first' messages, this is such a breath of fresh air. I mentioned to my grandparents that I was surprised this show was even allowed on television outside of the religious channel. We found ourselves challenged and riveted as we watched the contestants test their knowledge of the Bible.

I intend to encourage everyone I know to check out this program. Watch it with your children or your parents. Challenge each other to be able to answer the questions week to week. Maybe this mix of game-show fun and Bible study will be a shot in the arm to our spiritual walk!