God speaks in whatever language you will listen.

Posted in By Hannah 2 comments



Being a parent has taught me a lot about the character of people and big things in life, but what it has taught about the Heavenly Father is life-changing.

God wants a personal, unique relationship with you. He doesn't want you to be Beth Moore or Billy Graham; He already has relationship with those people. He wants a relationship with you.

Last week I had the honor of going to see Macklemore and Ryan Lewis preform at MSU. I admire Macklemore's words and the album "The Heist" has brought more truth into my life than the last 10 years of "Christian" albums combined.

Now, before you get all hot and bothered about me saying God spoke to me through a "secular" artist, hear me out. God made a burning bush (Exodus 3) and an abused donkey (Numbers 22) speak His message. He says He will make the very rocks cry out to praise Him if we don't (Luke 19), so what makes you think God can't use Macklemore's words to speak truth into my life?

If you believe that God can't do that, you are fooling yourself. We serve a powerful God. He will speak to you in whatever language you will listen. The more you get to know Him, the more He will speak in your life. Believers, if my daughter Missouri can find a biblical lesson while watching "Monster High," then my goodness, God can start a revival in my soul using a rap album. Why? Because God still moves and speaks to His children in individual and unique ways.

Macklemore is an artist; he is not a spiritual guide. I don't recommend "The Heist" album or Macklemore for everyone, because there are topics and words in there that make even my foul-mouth self blush, but I will not deny that God has used the words and courage of Macklemore to speak volumes to me. So here's my warning that goes with all entertainment: If rough language and real life references make you tender, then you should stick with your Sandi Patti and Carman cassettes. Don't put yourself in a place that will lead you to judge and sin, but if you choose to take a listen and let the Lord speak to you, I believe you will be moved, called out and spurred on, in all parts of your life - not just the pretty ones.

Friends, if you're dead to yourself, Spirit should be all over you. When you have a personal relationship with Him, He speaks to you where you are, using anything in your life.

The day after the show my best friend, Thomas, sent me a text and said he felt "baptized." I knew exactly what he meant. Macklemore brought an old-school altar call feel into my heart, simply by speaking some desperate truth and living with absolute joy. Oddly enough, to Thomas and me, that concert felt more like a church service than a rap show.

Friends, the universal church needs a revival. We have become so stale, so stagnant and so sad. I mean, some of you just got huffy over how the Lord chose to speak to me. Believers, where is the joy in our salvation? The hope in our Lord? Where is the Spirit in our lives?!?

If His people aren't seeking God out, getting to know Him or praising His name, He is going to sprout His message and reveal His Spirit elsewhere. I think that's precisely why God brought the church feel into a rap show. The church doesn't want a current and fresh message, cause that might make us get out of our comfortable seats. It might make us look silly, like David dancing before the Lord.

My son, Indie, at least every hour randomly comes up and asks me what I am doing or simply tells me, "I think you are wonderful."

I want to have that kind of relationship with my Heavenly Father. I don't want to just go to Him after my Oswald Chambers devotion in the morning with a long list of wants and needs. I want to get to know Him, all throughout my day, with questions and consistent praise. I want to feel His spirit as a
part of my life. I want to be dead to myself, so God can use whatever in my life to teach, spur and speak to me. As long as I keep asking, God will keep pouring out His Spirit. His mercies are new every morning.

God wants to speak and move in your life. He wants to know you. Let your life radiate with His spirit and get to know Him a little more today.