Mo Money, Mo Problems

Posted in By Hannah 4 comments

It should be no secret that I enjoy crime TV. I am fascinated with forensics and I love seeing a story's conclusion, even if it's not exactly a, well, good one.

One of my favorite crime series is called Behind Mansion Walls. It's not just a typical "who done it," but rather a dissection of how riches so often destroy. The show serves a poignant reminder to my greedy nature that riches can often be a curse in disguise.

Now, I absolutely believe God can and has blessed people with funds and fortune. Remember Solomon? "King Solomon was greater in riches and wisdom than all the other kings of the earth" (1 Kings 10:23). I believe money can benefit many, but it's the love of money that is the door to debauchery and terrible. 1 Timothy 6:10 says,"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

And really, guys, how many times have we watched money turn decent, respectable people into walking F5 disasters? Five minutes into that tacky TMZ show and you'll see the world's wealthy elite acting like a bunch of fools. Yet, here we are celebrating their lavish lifestyles like it's something to awe. Yes, I understand why people want things, but I can't understand why anyone would want the life that comes with that much currency. Holy dollar billz, Batman, I will gladly take the peace that passes understanding over a life that looks like a cluttered vacancy.

Proverbs 30:8-9 says, "Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

 Notorious B.I.G told the the truth, y'all, Mo money, mo problems. And honestly, if you think a large sum of cash will solve your problems anyway, well sugar, you just got problems.

In recent news someone won an asinine amount of money from the lottery. I've had lots of friends and family play those scratcher tickets, and although I don't think it's wrong or evil to simply play, I think the desire to gain such vast fortune is absolutely wackadoodles. To me, there is nothing appealing about having that much money. When the winner is announced, my first thought is never to congratulate or envy them, but rather to pity them and pray for them. It might sound silly to you, but to me, that much of a good thing is terrifying.

All in all, I want to be thankful with the portion God has provided me. Let what I have be perfect and my heart ready to give it away. That's a life to celebrate. Ya'll  rich and famous can keep your lifestyles.

Believers, instead of glorifying the wealthy and lavish, let's glorify the Lord. Let's show this greedy, broken world that we desire the fruits of the Spirit more than the fruits of our labor. (Or in the lottery's case, everyone else's labor.)  Let's be thankful for what God has provided, because we need our daily bread, not a fabulous feast that we could never finish.

Pray with me today and ask God to make you honest and content, wanting neither poverty nor wealth, but simply your daily bread. After all, that is how Jesus taught us to pray, right? (Matthew 6:9-13).