My plan vs. God's plan

Posted in By Sarah 2 comments

Hey, there. My name is Sarah. I'm a graduate of Missouri State University. I have two brothers, one sister, and a stepbrother and stepsister. I also have two nieces and three nephews, so far. I like to knit and crochet, go to concerts, collect Pez dispensers, and watch TV and movies. Watching bad movies with my best friends is one of my favorite things to do. Most of what I write is short and sweet, like me. I also make bad jokes.
-------------------------------------

I've pretty much known what I wanted to be and do ever since I was a little girl. I was going to go to college, meet a guy there, get married and have children by my mid twenties, and become a writer, working at a publishing house and writing stories in my spare time. I never thought I'd be rich or anything like that, but somewhat comfortable financially. It seemed like a really good plan to me.

Let me tell you, not one of those things has happened. Well, I did finish school, but it took me a lot longer than four years. I started when I was 18 and finished when I was 29. (I was in for two, out for one, in for three and a half, out for three, then took my last two classes over two semesters.) I'm still single and don't have any children. My degree is in English/Creative Writing, but so far, I haven't been able to get a job in writing or publishing or any related field. Right now, I'm a baker at a coffeehouse and recently started a second job at a convenience store so I can stay ahead of my bills. Obviously, this is not how I wanted things to turn out. 

It may not be what I envisioned, but it's the way things are. And, it's the path God has for me. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you... plans to give you hope and a future." That's pretty clear. I may not know where exactly I'm going or how I'll get there, but I believe that God is in control. I do get frustrated at times that I'm still at the coffeehouse. It sounds cheesy, but it really is only by the grace of God that I graduated. That was a year and a half ago. I don't understand why I graduated only to stay working there. I don't understand, but I trust in God. He is working something out for me. I don't know what it is, yet. Maybe He still needs to work something out in me. The thing I have to remember is that God hasn't brought me down this path for no reason.

Isaiah 48:17 says, "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go." So there it is. God knows what is best for me and he directs me. I just have to be willing to follow.