Mom The Builder

Posted in By Hannah 0 comments

Yep, that's Mama and Papa D and all seven of us.

At five years old I had life pretty figured out. I was going to be the world's first dinosaur-digging, award-winning writer/detective/historian/fashion designing/lounge singing/artist, stage and screen legend and obvious a Jedi that owned a coffee/bakery/comic shop. I was going to be a massive success and, of course, it all was going to happen before I turned the ancient age of 25.

When my mother was five, she would have practically told you the same thing, but when she lost her own mother at the age of 13, her priorities shifted. As tragedy hit her family, God illuminated her heart and sparked a ministry. She knew she was born to raise up others; she knew she was created to be a mother.

When she met and married my dad, they shared the same goal of being parents and hoped to raise a large family together. Months into their marriage, however, they found out that they were both unable to have children of their own. Devastated, they fasted and prayed, and yet still felt God was calling them to be parents. God opened a door and my parents moved to Alaska and ran a foster home to 13 Tlingit Tribe children.

My parents believed that the call of being a parent is more than just physically having children; it's a ministry of pouring a foundation and building others up.

Mom and Dad worked in Alaska for five challenging, yet joyful years. But when Mom discovered she was, in fact, pregnant, she was considered high-risk, and the doctors insisted she move to a more stable climate with better access to doctors. My parents were reluctant to leave the foster home, but God provided another loving couple to take their place. Knowing God was leading them into a new adventure, they moved back to Washington, and within that year my brother John was born. My parents then went on to have Elizabeth, Matthew, Andrew, Timothy, Rebekah and me.

Over the next 30 years, Mom and Dad became parents to hundreds. Not just to us, but our friends, and their friends and anyone who needed to be spurred on and encouraged. They loved, prayed and raised up anyone, because they believed they had that call.

My parents were created to be parents. They worked tirelessly, making sure they invested into each of our lives daily. They poured a foundation of faith and reassured us, always, that with God all things are possible. When I told them what I wanted to do with my life they encouraged me to "Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalms 37:4)

With that foundation of faith, I was built to understand that the world does not need more businessmen and women, but rather, more peacemakers, seekers of truth, kind and gentle spirits willing to go where God leads. My parents lived that example for us and I am so thankful that they gave up notions of success to simply raise up others.

Proverbs 31 says that a godly woman's children will arise and call her blessed. My Mom has lived her entire life by faith, and that example gave me the blueprint of what I wanted for my own life. It's hard to celebrate Mother's Day without thinking of all the things she did and did without, simply because she puts others before herself. My mother has blessed so many, not just her physical children, but, really,  all who know Mama D. Mom, we were raised, loved and now stand on our own to call you blessed.

I am not the picture of worldly success by any means, but I believe the Lord and He has provided the desires of my heart. I am married to a faithful, hard-working husband, we have two amazingly thoughtful children and God continually gives me a place to stand to speak His truth. Although I'm not some weird paleontologist lounge act, I am doing what I always wanted to do: I am living for my Lord.

Psalms 127:3 says children are a gift from the Lord. My children, "The States," are a reward indeed and I am blessed beyond words to have the joy they bring into my life, but I don't think my parenting ends at The States. I believe God calls all His people to be spiritual moms and dads to those who need it. James 1:27 says that's our job if we claim religion. Believers, our ability to love and care for others has very little to do with our loins. God wants to use us all to accomplish His plan of caring for His sheep. We all need to feed, care for, and love others. Let's take that kind of nurturing comfort of a stereotype Mom and give it away to those who need it. Parents or not, we are all called to care for each other. Let's worry more about raising people and less about the world's measurements of success.

Friends, you might not know what you what to be in life, but rest assured, we are all still in the process of being built up. We are all still works of progress. Take time to thank God for all the people who continue to pour the foundation for you. Tell those people that you appreciate their support and patience as they have fostered a place for you to grow.

My parents are amazing partners for each other. I can't praise one without thinking of the other. They are a team, and that team has always fought for me. I pray you know people like that in your life. As we celebrate Mother's Day this weekend, I pray you take time to thank God and thank the people who were always, well, Team You. Now, go give someone a hug.