Struggles, Decapitation and Telling What God Has Done!

Posted in By Hannah 0 comments

Growing up in evangelical churches, I can tell you a thing or twelve about "testimonial" services. I loved listening to different people get up and testify about how God was renewing, redeeming and renovating their hearts and lives. Sure, every now and then there was a loon talking about how her cat was born again and now has begun to prophesy to the neighbors, but for the most part it was just real, normal people excited to share what God has done.

Psalm 30:11-12 says, "You did it: you changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. I’m about to burst with song; I can’t keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can’t thank you enough" (The Message).

Believers, we claim to have keys to eternal peace, joy and hope; what kind of jerks are we to keep it to ourselves?!?!

In 1 Samuel 17, we read the Sunday School favorite about David and Goliath. Who doesn't love the classic underdog victory for the Lord? We've probably all read it a few times, but I encourage you to read it again. Uh, now. I'll wait. Go read.

Did you catch 17:54? After slaying the gigantic bully, David chops off the head AND CARRIES it around. He carries a decapitated head of a nine-foot giant around with him! That horrific thing had a gaping slingshot wound right in the middle too. It was gore-o-plenty. And here this red-faced little guy is excitedly toting it around, showing it to anyone who will look. "Look what the living God did!!!"

Friends, I am not saying you need to carry your gross baggage around for all to see, but I am asking why you wouldn't want to? God helped you get out of the nasty and with His grace you have defeated the giants we all face! Why wouldn't we want to scream about it?

"Oh, well, Hannah, I've struggle with some real nasty things and I just don't think it's a good place to share it." Ugh, again: David carried a decapitated head around with him! Friend, what you got can't be anymore creepy. Quit being so prideful and start getting 3D. Get high definition, all sorts of gross, all up in peoples' faces. Let them know what God can and has redeemed. "You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people" (Genesis 50:20).

"Oh, but Hannah, I still struggle with the ..." Shhh. Just stop right there. Friend, Darth Vader and I both "find your lack of faith disturbing." Maybe you don't feel you've overcome the big giant just yet, but think about all God has done in your life so far. Now, talk about it! We are a forgetful people. We need reminders. Think of all the altars, stones and sacrifices that the Lord calls for in the Old Testament. Being transparent about where you are on this long walk is often a testimony to others and reminder to you that God is still the living God. Dump your burdens and carry your reminders. Show others what God is doing in your life. Tell people what God has done!

Believers, I think it's time you share your testimony. Tell your story, in your language. Here, I'll start. You can read my story here: http://awfulappealing.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-and-everything-after_29.html Or you can read this: God is redeeming heartache into healing. He has turned my sad song into a disco party. God has taken that once unrelenting hurt, my story of rape, rejection and real crazy and turned it into a story that I can share to help others heal. The past year has been nothing short of a miracle. I once felt used, abused, forgotten and unforgivable and I'm here telling you today, God wants to take those falls, fails, hurts, horrors and real big defeats and turn them into a life lived like a warrior. I fall short on so much, but look what God has done! Believers, we have not arrived, but the battle is already won.

Carry that victory with you. Show that gross thing to anyone willing to look and listen and then encourage them to share their story, too!

 Today, I am giving you a challenge: Write down, speak out, record a video, paint a picture -- I don't care how you choose to tell your story, but tell your story! Share what God has done and what He continues to do! Break out the old hand fans and tambourines; we are going to have our own, old school testimonial service ... via the web. Share that dead thing you've been carrying around. You carry it for a reason. I'm excited to hear what God is doing in your life.