Words We Don't Use Anymore

Posted in By Mike Johns 0 comments

We have a new place to eat in town.

It is kind of a place... but kind of a food cart on Main St.  Every single day, people line up to get a dog of some sorts cooked right there on the side of the road.

I joined that line last weekend.  I took my youngest daughter with me... well the truth is that she took me to the hot dog stand.  We place our order - 2 brats, chips and a root beer!  The hot dog chef made hers and she added mustard and then some cheese that had been sitting in the sun for a while.  Then he made mine and asked if i wanted sour kraut.  I love toppings on my brat, so I said "Yes, lavish some kraut on that dog!"   I proceeded to lavish some jalapenos and onions as well as other toppings.  In fact, a friend who had slipped in line behind us said... "Do you like a little dog with your toppings?"

We do not use the word "lavish" much anymore.  Maybe because I am studying through Ephesians, or maybe because I am just such a wordsmith, but I like that word.

Ephesians tells of how God lavished us with the riches His grace.  What a great picture of God's grace!  I like to lose my dog, lavished in a pile of toppings!  I also like the look that my sins have been lost, lavished in a pile of grace.  God, who came at just the right time, when I was helpless and could do nothing... He came and died for the ungodly.  He became our sin - we got His righteousness.

Lavish yourself in His grace today.