Community

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

Over the past several months I have become increasingly aware of the growing loss of community in our society. When I was a little girl, I lived on a square block with a park in the middle. If I stand in my parents' old front yard, I can still point out 90% of the houses on the block and tell you who had lived there. Above that, I could recite at least one story of how each family touched mine. Now, having moved back very close to my old neighborhood, I know the names of only one of the neighbors on my block.

It has been said that it takes a community to raise a child, and that was certainly put into play when I was a kid. All of us living in that square block knew that if any of our neighbors saw us behaving badly, our parents would hear about it before we got home. Likewise, if we were ever in need, we could knock on any door and request help, whether if it was for a band-aid or a glass of water. So much of our time was spent in the company of others living near us, and families were connected by much more than proximity to each other.

As I drive through my neighborhood these days, I rarely see a person outside of their house. Some of my neighbors have lived in these houses for decades, but no one on the block knows who they are. I have never seen the inside of any of the homes on my street, nor invited any of them inside mine.

This isolation is not only happening in our communities; it is also a problem in our churches. Hebrews 10:24 & 25 reminds us: "let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." Followers of Christ need each other to stay strong in the faith. There is so much evil in the world, and so little refreshment. Out of  168 hours in a week, one hour on Sunday morning is not enough to power us for the other 167. 

Living in community in our church leads to greater compassion for the lost in our neighborhoods. As we get encouragement from our brothers and sisters in Christ, we begin to see (and feel) the great need of unbelievers. When we truly empathize with our neighbors, we begin to repair the overwhelming damage that isolation has done to our country and our world. Consider how you can stimulate your church family to love and good deeds, and what impact those deeds will have on your neighbors. It could be a world-changing activity.