Froggy Payers

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3

When I last read that verse, especially the line "wait in expectation," I recalled a story of George Muller on a trans-Atlantic voyage. In the middle of the voyage the captain of the ship slowed the speed because of the thickness of the fog. Muller went to the captain to say that he needed to be in Toronto (or someplace) by Saturday and he had never missed an appointment in 50some years. The captain began to explain the foggy conditions, but Muller confidently replies that his eyes are not on the fog but on the God, his God, that can control the fog. He then requests that they go below to the chart room to pray. Muller prays a short simple prayer and as the captain is about to pray stops him saying, "Firstly, you do not believe that God will answer and secondly, I know that my God has already removed the fog. They go above and sure enough the fog has lifted.

You do not believe he will answer--that struck me hard and weighed on my mind for awhile. Through much of June and especially when the Waldo Canyon fire was ongoing, we were praying everyday for rain. Throughout it I thought, why the delay? Why no answer? Was it because I didn't really believe God would answer?  Eventually he did, but how do you cope when there seems no answer? Is your prayer merely words or is faith behind it? Questions I must ask myself often.