A Restless Evil, Full of Deadly Poison

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 2 comments

The title sounds like some horror flick, doesn't it? Unfortunately, though, it is not make-believe. All of us carry in our physical bodies this "restless evil" that is full of deadly poison. It is called a tongue.

What's so bad about the tongue, you may ask? If it weren't for our tongues, we wouldn't be able to taste and enjoy food. Without our tongues, we would not be able to speak. Speaking, however, is one of our major problems as believers:
No human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing (James 3:8-10).
I am so guilty of this. I can begin my day worshiping God and reading His Word, and an hour later be lambasting the driver in front of me for not using his turn signal. Really? I curse a fellow human being, who is created in God's image, just because he or she doesn't drive the way I think they should? Sadly, yes...that is exactly what I do.

Another scenario is one I unfortunately witnessed in church recently. Immediately following the service, which had included wonderful worship and a powerful message, I overheard a woman loudly talking about a man who had fallen off the wagon and began drinking again after a time of sobriety. What made it particularly egregious is that the man in question also attends our church. He and the woman with the big mouth both attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. So besides grieving God with her mouth, this woman was also violating the confidentiality code of A.A. by airing someone else's dirty laundry for all to see.

James laments that all kinds of animals can be tamed, but that nobody can tame the tongue. It is something we must all do for ourselves. Nobody else can keep us from shooting off our mouths. We must realize the gravity of our sin, repent of it, and ask God to purify our hearts. Psalm 19:14 is a good Scripture to pray every morning:
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Throughout the day, we must be diligent to take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. When we are tempted to gossip or to be critical or complaining, we need to remember Matthew 12:36: "On the day of judgement, people will give account for every careless word they speak." Yikes. Every careless word. I don't know about you, but I am going to have to account for a LOT.

As we begin this new year, let us endeavor to build each other up in our most holy faith (Jude 1:20). Also remember Ephesians 4:29: "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

Grace. What a different world it would be if we all tried to impart grace to those around us every day. Let's begin today.