Inauguration Shame

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 3 comments

Since last Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr. day, I was privileged to be able to stay home and watch our president's inauguration. Soon after it was over, though, I was grieved to read what Mark Driscoll tweeted about Barack Obama.

Driscoll, the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, is not new to controversy. He shoots his mouth off like a loaded gun. Regrettably, though, his tirades are not prophetic in nature, nor do they expound biblical truths -- both of which sometimes land Christians in hot water. Unfortunately, his tweet about our president was everything you would NOT expect a minister of the gospel to say:
"Praying for our president, who today will place his hands on a Bible he does not believe to take an oath to a God he likely does not know."
I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it in print; I had to do a double-take. Tragically, what I thought I saw is what the man actually said. My heart sank. It is unconscionable to say you are praying for the president, when in the same breath you make such a horrific accusation.

I am aware that people get wacky about politics, particularly when someone gets voted into office whom they don't like. It never ceases to amaze me how my Christian brothers and sisters fall for things like conspiracy theories, and even send them on in e-mails. Someone in my own family once told me she was horrified that Obama had his hand on the Koran when he was sworn into office four years ago! I quickly set her straight on that one. And last week when he was sworn into office, our president had his hand on two Bibles -- one used by Abraham Lincoln, and the other by Martin Luther King, Jr. No Koran, thank you very much.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, of course. But ministers of the gospel have a higher calling. James 3:1 says, "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness." A minister of the gospel should have a narrow focus, as did Paul when he said, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Tweeting something that dishonors the president brings shame to Christ.

When my husband and I saw Barack Obama in Independence four years ago when he was on the campaign trail, the last thing he said was, "Pray for me. I need your prayers." He also told about when he came to know Jesus Christ. This was not some vague testimony about someone "knowing God." He talked about Jesus. Have his actions always illustrated his profession of faith? No. But neither have mine. The point is that we are all fallen, broken people. But when someone tells about their relationship with Jesus, how dare I (or anyone else) question that person's sincerity? God is the only one who sees the hearts of men.

We, as believers in Jesus, are to pray "for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness" (1 Timothy 2:2). Whether we approve of who is in office or not, it is our duty to pray for our president. When someone openly criticizes someone in leadership, one thing is obvious: they have not been praying for him. Mark Driscoll went the way of the world rather than holding up the higher standard of a minister of the gospel. I pray he repents and apologizes to the president personally.