Setting and Reaching Our Goals

Posted in By Unknown 0 comments

We all set goals. It may not be at the beginning of a new year, but we do set them. Some of our goals are not super ambition (I'm going to sit in the office all day and not fall asleep...until 3pm). Other times our goals may be life changing (By this time next year I will be living as a missionary in Morocco)  No matter what the goal is, we don't meet them without some effort on our part. Here are a few tools to help us meet the goals we set.

Keep the "Why" in Mind. Why do you want to meet a certain goal? I am way more likely to actually get up in the morning and go for a run in this ridiculous cold, dark world if I remember that I'm not just doing it for me. I was to continue looking good for my wife. I want to be in a shape my kids won't be ashamed of. My body is a temple. If I remember those things I'm going to find it easier to get up than if I just think "Blah 6am is here again, I guess I better go out for a run to punish myself." Write the "why" down somewhere you will see it often to keep reminding yourself.

Tell Someone Your Goal. Preferably someone who will keep you in check. Don't just tell the girl at the checkout counter and think you have made progress. Share your goal with a friend who will check up on you and challenge you to keep pushing on, even when you don't feel like it or times get rough.

Set "mini-goals." What steps are you going to need to take along the way. How will you know if you are making progress? Find "mile markers" along the way to encourage yourself to keep it up. If you want to lose 60 lbs this year, when do you want to have 30 lost by? 10? 2?

Write Out Roadblocks. What obstacles do you see getting in the way of your meeting your goal and how will you overcome it? Thinking about these things ahead of time will better prepare you for when they happen.

All of these can apply to our spiritual lives as well. I hope one of your goals this year is to be closer to God by December 31, 2013 than you were a few days ago. How are you going to make sure that happens? God has given us brains to use. So use it to run the race. Use it to fight the fight. Drawing close to God doesn't "just happen" it takes effort on our part and the Enemy does not want it to happen.

As we start 2013, really pray about and set some goals for your walk with God. They will be some of the most rewarding goals you will meet.

What goals have you set for this year? What other "tools" do you have to help you meet those goals?