Do you ever look up?

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

2012 is a crazy year. We had Leap Day today, Summer Olympics will be in London, it's an Election year (groan), and to top it off the Mayan Calendar ends in December. Personally going to have an "End of the World" Watch party on December 20. With all this going on, the coolest thing I have come across this year is in the evening sky. Whenever I ask people about it, I find that many never look up at the stars at night. One night I looked up and saw Venus, but then saw another bright "star" above it. I had to google it to find out what was going on. Turns out that February/March is a great time to be watching. What I was seeing was Jupiter and about March 9, Jupiter and Venus' orbits will appear to cross and the two will be shining right next to each other. At the same time in the eastern sky, Mars is clearly visible. So every night when I get off work, I look up to see the progress of the three. (If you want to find out more, click here)

Mostly I've just been fascinated with this, but it makes me wonder at how many are completely unaware of what is happening in the sky. What is the reason? Busy, distracted, city-lights (though the two planets are quite bright). I wonder if it is just taken for granted. We are so full of seeing that we no longer see. Example of this: did you know that you can always see your nose, but the eyes/mind dismisses it because it is always there and seen. My thoughts here are similar to Nick's point on Monday with "If my Earthly needs are provided for, why do I need God?" I feel like I get the same way with God that others do with the night sky. Always there, I'm distracted or worse: satisfied. I begin to take Him for granted, slumbering while He is all around to be enjoyed and that I need to get off my duff.

Thoughts?

"Awake, O sleeper! Rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you!"