Lent

Posted in By Cheryl Huston 0 comments

Good evening everyone!
Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the Lenton Season. It ends on Easter Sunday. Many people think that only the Catholic religion observes Lent, but the truth is many people do. I am one of them. Growing up, I watched my mother give up sweets, cakes, candy, cookies and the like. As I got older and understood what the Lenton Season was all about I too gave up sweets. It became a tradition with us.
So, what is Lent all about? It is about sacrifice. It is about building your relationship with God. It is about strengthing your faith. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son." (John 3:16) Jesus came to save the world. He sacrificed His life for you and for me! He was obediant to the Father and took on the sins of ALL so that we may have life. So, fasting from a particular food, habit, or doing more than your norm seems like a small sacrifice to me.
This Lent is no different for me. I gave up sweets, red meat and soda. This year I am adding exercise. I have always felt better after Lent is over. My goal for this year though is to continue with my sacrifice long after Lent is over.
If you have never tried to fast and pray for 40 days, let me tell ya, it is well worth the sacrifice!
Have a very blessed weekend!
Cheryl