What would you ask for?

Posted in By Mike Johns 0 comments

God really opened up a passage for me this week and I want to share with you the insight.

The disciples make a request of Jesus in Luke 11:1. Lord, teach us to pray...
These men had walked with Jesus and saw all sorts of miraculous things.
-they saw Him walk on water.
-they saw Him heal.
-they saw Him raise the dead.
-they saw Him feed thousands with very little.
-they saw Him forgive sins.
-they saw Him interact with people.
The disciples walked with Jesus and saw all of this and more... but this one thing they ask for... to learn to pray.

Why? I mean woulldn't you ask for something better? He did all these awesome things... I must confess, I'd probably ask Him to teach me the walking-on-water trick. Maybe I would ask how to feed thousands with a few tortillas and couple sardines. I would want some cool trick that would be a popular party favorite.

The disciples asked to learn how to pray. Why? I think there are several possible reasons.
First, they saw the power in prayer.
Second, they saw that Jesus made it a priority.
Third, they saw that it was more awesome than the miracles... I mean, given the choice, we always pick the best thing, right?
Fourth, I believe they experienced some frustration in self-powered living/ministry.
Lastly, they saw a difference in Jesus' life.

What would you ask for?
Lord, teach me to pray.