Hurry up and slow down

Posted in By Mike Johns 0 comments

During the 1990's the speed limit in Montana was defined by words, not numbers. Drivers designated their own speed limit by what they deemed to be "reasonable and prudent."

This was it, this was the speed limit... you were supposed to drive at a rate which you thought was reasonable and prudent!

They clocked one guy going 150 miles per hour.

I laughed when reading about this, I laughed at how one could find 150 MPH as reasonable or prudent. But then I realized that was me... it is the speed limit of my life. I get to set the speed limit, no one else sets the speed limit for me. I do, and I am rushing through everything. I am racing at 150 miles per hour.

I am called to live life with Jesus, and to live the Jesus life - which is the only way to gain real life. But because of my speed I often remain disappointed, and I find myself losing life.

The problem with living live at 150 MPH is that it becomes a blur of images. We see it all go by and yet we lose the plot, the dialogue, the narrative, the story. We lose life.

Let's stop skimming across the surface of life because we are moving too fast. Let's take time to invest in our priorities. That is probably the issue is that the Jesus life is not a priority.

What is taking place of your time with Jesus today?