Turn left at the old pine tree

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 2 comments

If you are like me and lack a GPS in your car, then you have likely gotten some odd directions in order to get somewhere. Turn by turn, hills, curves, landmarks, and sometimes (if I'm lucky) street names. Over the weekend I was in St. Joseph for a friends wedding. This was only the second time I'd been in that area, so I am reliant on directions to a lot of places. People wonder at how I can get to some places with the worst directions. Part of it is being confident in being able to figure it out, but my biggest secret? I'm not afraid to turn around. Even if I had a GPS it would probably say "please make a legal U-turn" the most. When looking for someplace I don't worry about passing it if I don't know exactly where it is. Plus by exploring a little more, I learn the area a lot better.

This is how I am with driving, but often quite the opposite in life. In life I become so caught up in if this is the right thing, can I afford to do something like that, will I like that job, is this God's will? The result is that I end up stuck and make no change. It's almost like a deer in the headlights, blinded and unmoving, until thud (unless you're one to swerve). Should I be more like I am in driving and just try a bunch of different things with less thought? Not be so afraid of making a mistake? How big a part does God's will play into this?

Since it isn't resolved in my own mind, it seems only fair to leave it unresolved here. Thoughts?

Brett