Perception

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

Jesus freak. Bible thumper. Holier-than-thou. HYPOCRITE.

Christians have been called these names and more by unbelievers since Christianity began. Many of the lost people in our world harbor anger against us because they recognize unresolved sin in their lives. Others hate us simply because we are. But sometimes, their dislike is justified.

Obviously, we can point to the extremists in this world and place some blame on them for tarnishing the image of Christ-followers. The "church" that has made it their goal to protest funerals of war veterans are clearly not following the teachings of The Most High. Picketers carrying signs saying, "God hates fags" seem to have never read about the boundless love God has for all His children-believer or not. However, that is not the whole story.

Christians are sinners just like non-believers. We still wrestle with God for control of our lives, and no matter how hard we try to resist, we will all continue to be sinners until the Lord brings us home. Through God's grace, we are restored to Him, and we are given Heaven as our eternal home. Sometimes, we forget to acknowledge these truths.

How many times I have heard someone describe a church they have visited as "closed-off", "uninviting",or "intimidating". This is such a sad testimony to our Lord Jesus Christ! Jesus never brushed off anyone or refused to make Himself available to those who sought Him. I truly believe that the God who made Himself man and gave up everything for us is saddened when He sees the lost turned away from establishments proclaiming to be His house.

Individually as believers, we cannot refuse to associate with the lost. That puts off an attitude of "I'm better than you." Jesus ate and stayed with corrupt men and prostitutes. Imagine what society would think of that! What Jesus did not do was allow that corruption to affect Him. He lovingly called sinners to a higher standard of behavior-He called them to follow Him.

I think we all need to look closely at our public demeanor. We need to prune out attitudes and actions that would cause unbelievers to describe us in one of the ways listed above. LOVE should permeate our lives, and should be evident in our speech, our actions, and our relationships. Take a look today at 1 Corinthians 13 and pick out some of those characteristics which may not apply to you. Ask the Lord to change your heart and give you those attitudes, so that we can fulfill The Great Commission in our homes and communities.

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud
or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. vv.3-8