Doing It For The Glory Of God

Posted in By Mike Johns 1 comments

I love God.  I love sports... in different ways, but love both nonetheless.  

I especially love it when the two worlds collide.

I have read many autobiographies from athletes.  Some follow Jesus, some do not.

Two of my favorite are Josh Hamilton and Tim Tebow.  

Both follow Jesus and are not ashamed of it.  Their stories are very different.  Tebow has pretty much followed Jesus his whole life.  Josh has battled all sorts of demons and addictions both publicly and privately.  Both use their platform to glorify God.  
  
Josh made news this week when he became the 16th player in MLB history to hit 4 home runs in a game.  In the game, he also had a double and drove in 8 runs.  What a night for him!  After the game he said this: 
''I think about what God's done in my life, everything I did to mess it up,'' he said. ''To finally surrender everything and pursue that relationship with Christ on a daily basis and understanding when I don't pursue it, I end up messing up. Understanding that what I'm doing and what God's allowed me to do, coming back from everything I went through and allowing me to play the game at the level I play it, it's pretty amazing to think about.''
  
God has given each one of us a unique platform with unique circles of influence.  What I like about these guys is that they understand that above all else they follow Jesus.  


Are you giving God glory in what you do?  Are you making much of Jesus in your life?  Are you taking every opportunity to give Him glory?