A sunset in the mountains

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

Last night was Man night for summer crew here at camp. We made the hour bouncing drive to a nearby peak, Mt. Baldy or something like that. Once we had driven as far as we could, we had a half-mile walk across an old reservoir and up a ridge. What waited for us was an awesome view of the Collegiate Range, Pike's Peak, and another reservoir below. While we watched the sun setting, one of the guys asked, "Isn't it amazing that the God of the Universe created all this?" I agree it's amazing, but as I stood at 13,000+ feet and saw tiny flowers of blue, purple, red, yellow, and white scattered around; as I saw the sun shine between clouds and mountain tops, I was struck by something else.

"The sun rises and the sun sets and hurries back to where it rises. The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again." (Ecclesiastes 1:5-7) So Solomon wrote and often I feel the same way. I tend to think of sunsets (which I've seen far more of than sunrises) as the same; once you've seen one you've seen them all sort of thing. As I watched it last night I remembered it is false that they are all the same. The sunset I saw last night I will never see again. The sunrise I missed this morning will never be seen again. This is what amazed me, not that God created the mountains once, but that every day he makes a unique display.

Malcolm Muggeridge once wrote, "Man is so avid for knowledge that everything he touches turns to facts; his faith become theology, his love becomes lechery, his wisdom becomes science." I am often this way, but do not wish to be. I want to continually be amazed at the work God is doing every single day. I do not want the knowledge I accumulate, the "maturity" I seek to remove from me the child-like delight and amazement of all that is around me. 

 "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." -Jesus