Remove the Stone!

Posted in By Patty Kennedy 1 comments


Last week my mother-in-law passed away at the age of 94. Treasured family visited from out of state. Throughout the week, as I listened to what others said about my mother-in-law’s life, I wondered what sort of legacy I would leave behind. What will my husband, our sons, and those closest to me say about my life after I’m gone?

The passing of one who has lived a long, full life is not a tragedy. But what about the living who walk shrouded in death? Perhaps past mistakes grieve us to the point that we can’t enjoy life today. Perhaps abuse inflicted on us when we were helpless and vulnerable has left us skeptical of people, and wary of relationships. Perhaps we are unduly concerned about what others think of us, and are thus robbed of the joys of life.

My ponderings and meditations made me think of something I read in Jane Rubietta’s book, Come Closer. She describes the death of Lazarus, and Jesus arriving on the scene after being summoned by Lazarus’s sisters. When Jesus wanted to raise Lazarus from the dead, the first order He gave was, “Remove the stone.” After Lazarus is raised, others are instructed to remove the grave clothes so he can be free.

Rubietta goes on to ask a penetrating question of the living: “Who will help remove your stones? Who can you call to your side to help unwind the grave clothes, the bindings and wrappings of death?” Jesus expects each of us to enjoy relationships that are life-giving. Proverbs 27:17 says, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” If you struggle to enjoy life, if you feel as though you are shrouded in grave clothes, do you have people in your life whom you can call upon to gently unwrap those clothes and help you walk in newness of life?

I am grateful to have such people in my own life. Sometimes simply being around them changes my perspective and convicts me of changes I need to make. Other times, I need a sounding board or may just need to vent. For this, my niece, Catharine, is an invaluable help. She is an attentive listener, and gives me objective feedback. She helps me put things in perspective and see my own blind spots.

The past week has sparked a keener love and appreciation for the precious family and friends God has given me. They help me remove the wrappings of death, and remind me that life is too short to be consumed with things that don't matter.

What then, does matter? According to Paul, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love" (Galatians 5:6). I can offer myself to God as a living sacrifice. I can allow the 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love to be exemplified in my life. I can model the fruit of the Spirit. I can exhibit LIFE instead of death.

As Christians, we have a unique opportunity to live for Christ every day. First Peter 1:3 says God has given us everything we need to live godly lives. Everything we need -- so we are without excuse.

May we seek on a daily basis to please God and partner with Him to accomplish His purposes.