That'll Show 'Em

Posted in By Sarah 0 comments

A few weeks ago when I was working at the convenience store, a regular customer made a comment about how slow I was being (I had paused before asking if he wanted cash back from his debit card). I get really annoyed when people do this sort of thing. I almost always assume that it's their passive aggressive way of saying, "No, seriously, be faster," or whatever their point is. The next time I saw that guy, I was making coffee while he went back to the cooler to get his regular 6-pack and 2 summer shandies. He got to the counter just before I did and asked, "Are you working today, Sarah?" I answered I was and he said, "Are you sure?" That really irritated me. The guy can't wait a few seconds? I mean, I was right behind him. He saw I was there. So, then I thought that I'd show him how much he annoyed me by giving him looks as I rang up his stuff. Maybe I'd smile with gritted teeth or roll my eyes, anything to show him he was being a jerk. 
Then, the thought came to me that I should be nice, genuinely nice. I believe this idea came from God because, obviously, my first inclination is not to be so kind to people who irritate me like that. The question that popped into my head was, when has that ever worked? No one ever thinks, "Oh, this girl is giving me a nasty smile. I must have done something to offend her." If I had done that, that guy probably would've thought I was just being a jerk for no reason. So I, thank the Maker, was nice to him. The next time I saw him, he was really nice. He wanted to show me the sunburn on his legs he had gotten the previous weekend.(It was still a bit purple. Ouch.) I realized that I had misjudged him. He wasn't being passive aggressive with his comments about me being slow. That was just the way he jokes around.
It wouldn't even matter if he was being passive aggressive or an outright jerk. My reaction and attitude toward him, and anyone else, are what matter. Colossians 3:12 says that as God' people, we are to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Ephesians 4:31-32 tells us to "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Which would you rather try to show people: how annoyed, upset, and offended you are or the fruit of the Spirit (Galations 5:22)? It's not easy, but let's strive to be the kind of people God has called us to be.