The Cost of a Free T-shirt (2)

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

My question, "What's the cost?" had its beginning in the "free t-shirt" thoughts that I shared last time, but it occurs elsewhere as well. In the time that I've lived independent of my parents, the monetary cost of things has been more prevalent on my mind. Food, bills, entertainment, etc., all have to be less than my income. The cost of time comes up when juggling work, hanging out with friends, alone time, church stuff, family.....and this isn't exactly in priority order, haha.

I like the movie Men in Black for a couple quotes/scenes, but one that has particular significance for this post, is when K is offering Edwards a spot in MIB. The conversation follows:
Edwards: What's the catch?
Kay: The catch? The catch is you will sever every human contact. Nobody will ever know you exist anywhere. Ever. I'll give you to sunrise to think it over. [starts walking away]
Edwards: [shouting after Kay] Hey! Is it worth it?
Kay: Oh yeah, it's worth it. [starts walking again, stops and turns back briefly]
Kay: If you're strong enough!

"What's the catch?" in other words, what's the cost? In order for Edwards to become part of Men in Black, he must first depart everything of his old life. A cost that he is given till the next day to think about before making his decision.

Here let me reiterate that salvation was/is not free. The HEAVY cost was paid in full by Christ and there is nothing we can do to earn it or deserve it. Here I do not ask about the cost of salvation, rather my question is the cost of following Jesus. Growing up in a Christian home, having friends that were Christians, I never really had to consider what it might cost me to follow Jesus. Now, as I read in the Gospels how Jesus tells his disciples to consider the cost, I wonder. I grew up hearing stories of the sacrifices people made in other countries/times to become followers of Jesus, but the most significant story I heard was in the last year. Hear about it next week.

Brett