Friendship Part 2

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 1 comments

Odd way to begin, but I need some help from Harry Potter fans, more specifically, fans of the book series. I love watching films, but hands down, the book is always better (end rant). Anyway, so the other day I watched the final movie (Deathly Hallows part 2) and was disturbed how Voldemort seemed weakened every time a horcrux was destroyed. When reading, I thought Voldemort was unaware of the status of the horcruxes, he didn't feel it when they were destroyed. Any help on this?

What got me thinking on this was an article I had read awhile back. It was a critique on consumerism (and all the Americans groaned). It contrasted Voldemort's trust in material things to keep himself from death and Harry, who had friends that willingly placed themselves in danger to protect him. This comparison between stuff and friends I find quite interesting and I encourage you to read the article itself.

What I notice is that we can experience the loss of both stuff and friends, but the loss of a friend is not easily replaced. Why that is I don't think I need to explain. So, with how I began a couple weeks ago, questioning the value and worthwhile-ness of developing friendships when it can lead to pain. Unlike stuff, friends and family and others can love you back. It sounds cheesy right now, but think about where you invest yourself:
is it in material things or others?

Brett