Intangible Holiness

Posted in By Nick Smith 0 comments

Recently, I’ve been thinking about the words that we use to describe God and the word “Holy” seems to stand apart from all other descriptions. Let me explain…

Perfect is one of the first words that come to mind for me when describing God. God is perfect. It seems simple enough as well as accurate. But perfect is a word that requires a criterion or paradigm to conform to. For example, we would not know how to identify or create a perfect circle if we did not first know what a circle IS. The definition makes it possible for perfection to be attained. Anyone can be perfect simply by defining what it is that they are perfect at. Me? I’m perfect at making baskets in the trash can every time I am less than two feet away, there is no wind, and there are no obstructions between me and the trash can. Under those circumstances, I make a basket EVERY time. I am perfect in that regard.

When we look at perfection in this light, we can see that perfection in itself isn’t all that impressive; it is WHAT is perfect that matters. And there are so many other adjectives that describe God that he is perfect at: Loving, Powerful, Forgiving, Consuming, Comforting, Providing, Reliable, Required, Inspiring, Creative. For each of these words, I could provide several verses that demonstrate God’s perfection.

But Holiness stands apart. It is a truly unique word. For each of the other words, I can define it and I can usually recognize it when I see it. I can use those words to describe God. God is loving. God is powerful. God is forgiving. The words convey qualities that are independent of God (because they can describe more than just God). I can recognize the qualities of the word in God and then use the word to describe Him.

But that doesn’t work with holy. Sure, you can obviously say God is Holy, but that wouldn’t be an accurate description. A better description would be Holy is God. You see, holiness has no meaning without God. You can’t recognize qualities of holiness in God and then use the word to describe Him. It is that intangible quality of God that we know is there but our minds just can’t grasp it. It’s bigger than we can comprehend. All of the other adjectives are simply our attempt at describing holiness when we see it. Holy is all of those qualities plus an infinite number of qualities that we don’t even have words for.

And God is perfect at being Holy. That is something that no man can claim for himself.

Here is a song by one of my favorite bands, Addison Road, that does a great job of conveying the intangible quality of holiness in a beautiful way.