Nobody Wants To Die

Posted in By Mike Johns 0 comments

Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

A life of following Jesus is a life of taking up your cross. In Jesus day, who took up a cross? The answer - a person who was on his way to a crucifixion... a person set to die. Criminals convicted of crimes were forced to carry their cross to the place of death.

Jesus is saying here that to choose Him is to choose self-execution. Following Him is choosing death?

This has been a hard challenge for me for a long time.

We must crucify our selfish desires so that we can live for God and others.

Moment by moment, choice by choice, we must die to self so we can live far better.

We live in a culture where we grasp at life... the call of Jesus is to grasp at death.

Lord, let my desires be your desires. May I die to my selfish desires and live for you.