Radical?

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

I have recently been reading two very similar, very thought-provoking books that have challenged how I look at my relationship with Christ. These authors have made me look at how my faith comes out in action, and evaluate areas of my life I'm withholding from Jesus. They have given me a different perspective on things such as tithing and devotion to the Lord.

One thing that disturbs me, however, is the area of suffering. Much is made of the concept of suffering for Christ in these pages. Each author, in his own way, asks the question, "What has loving Jesus cost you lately?" The question evokes images of continued suffering throughout the life of a Christian. In my estimation, it conjures up the idea that if I'm not in a bad way, I'm not in a true relationship with Christ.

I wholeheartedly agree with Luke 9:23 in which Jesus says, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Denying self is, to me, the crux of Christianity-we must be buried to our own desires and allow Jesus to live through us. I just don't believe that Jesus wants His disciples to experience lives of depression and pain. Let me tell you why:

Psalm 37:4-Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

John 10:10-The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Psalm 23:1-3-The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

There are numerous other references in the Bible to support the idea that Christ did not come to make us suffer.  Not that our lives would be continually happy and worry-free; that is an impossible goal for a sinful human living in a fallen world. Plus, the Lord spells out that relationship with Him does not equate a free pass: For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.-Galatians 5:13. God gives us balance. "Weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning."

Perhaps I make too much of what these authors are saying. That being said, if my mind has gone to this place, surely others have as well. Maybe I'm not the only person who needs to be reminded that what these authors have spelled out for us are not the only words the Bible has to say. The love of Christ is deep enough that it covers us with peace and joy. Sometimes those elements will be forced to overshadow suffering, but as it comes from the Almighty, I'd say it's well up to the task.