Consumer Christmas

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

Yesterday evening, my husband went to Wal Mart. On Thanksgiving. Against both our better judgements. He was gone a total of 15 minutes when I received this from him:
He returned ten minutes later, empty-handed. "It was not worth it," he explained. "One guy told me he'd been there 30 minutes, and hadn't moved the entire time. All that for $20 off." In case you can't see very well, let me clue you in: the sign in the background proclaims "More Christmas for your money."

As the holiday approaches, relatives have begun asking the age-old question, "What's on your Christmas list this year?" I have been stymied, but also a bit proud, to see that my children cannot come up with substantial answers. Their mindset seems to be shifting away from "me" and more toward "others". I know a large part of it is their youth group--service projects abound in our ministry these days, and I can see the effect it has had on all our students. I also hope it is the product of their upbringing. I have very impatiently awaited the day when I could see evidence in their lives that they see the needs of others, and exhibit the desire to meet them.

The Lord has given us the best gift we will ever receive, and our lives are irreversibly changed by it. As we grow in Christ, may we expand our circle of influence, just has He did during His earthly life. Not out of duty, but because our minds have changed. May we begin to see people as Christ sees them, and live in such a way that we can lift others up. This type of life has rewards in store for us here and in heaven. The way service changes our lives is indescribable, and it pleases our Lord as well.