Give Thanks

Posted in By Hannah 0 comments

When I was growing up, singing and praying before dinnertime was a requirement. My parents wanted us to always remember that before we got to eat, it was crucial that we give thanks. I thought it was a lovely idea, because I love to sing, but I do remember how my teenage brothers snickered and rolled their eyes at this simple tradition.

Silly or not, I can still hear my Mamma's voice almost quiver as she sang with such conviction. I know now that it's because she and my Dad were still in awe on how Jehovah Jireh, God Our Provider, had so faithfully provided for all 9 of us once again.

Sure, we were poor, but in those moments, I never felt lacking. I simply felt thankful.

We stood around the table with food prepared by loving hands, and sang:
"Give thanks with a grateful heart. Give thanks unto the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son
And now let the weak say, 'I am strong'
Let the poor say, 'I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us'
Give thanks."
Even on the days were we only had hominy to eat, we sang songs of thanksgiving and praise to a God who always gave us what we needed. 

And as precious as those moments were, we grew older. Our hearts hardened, the snickering turned to resentment, and resentment to rebellion. I watched as my parents pushed back and persisted. But eventually they peacefully gave in, as they solemnly realized that you cannot make people be thankful.

Twenty years later, I am learning lessons of thankfulness every day as my husband and I trust in the Lord to provide. Yet as my heart rejoices in thanksgiving, my heart is also oh-so-broken for my nation. I've watched as my peers snickered over simple traditions. And I've watched the snickering turn to resentment. And resentment to rebellion.
Our Thanksgiving feast now looms under the greedy shadow of Black Friday. You can save all you want on special sales, but when people start dying in doorways to deals, you can count me out. People are being trampled at Wal Mart, friends. Trampled to death on the way to get more, on the day after our national celebration of Thanksgiving. There are no words. My heart grieves. 

We defy the wisdom of the Proverbs in hopes to plunder great trash on Black Friday. We let comparison rob us blind, deals drive us to murder, and debtors own our life. Our nation of freedom has become a prison of want, friends. And we are all guilty. We buy in bulk, waste so much, and complain without ceasing. And then we wonder why other nations hate us?! Oh and I'm sorry, Crazy Lady at Michael's, you have not been "tortured" for four years by Obama. You are yelling on your iPhone, digging in your 80-dollar Thirty-One bag, looking for your iPad so you can download a coupon for a 97-dollar pine cone display. That's not torture, sugar. You just sound and look like every other thankless American out here. Your first world problems are not real problems. BE THANKFUL.

I've read posts all this month about thankfulness; it has been so refreshing. You want to know what I am thankful for, America? I am thankful for a second chance. A second chance to say I am sorry I snickered at the simple. I am sorry I craved things instead of peace. I am sorry that after all these years of walking together with Jesus, I am still chief of the sinners. My thankfulness fails, and my mouth complains. What an embarrassing example. But I know God is a God of second chances. I am so thankful to serve a God that knows me and loves me anyway. I am thankful for this second chance, friends. I am ready to live like I am thankful. 

Now, go. Be kind. Forgive the family members that "hated" this election and unite. I don't care where you meet or what you eat - just come together and be thankful. 

"For the poor, every day brings trouble; for the happy at heart, life is a continual feast." Proverbs 15:15