An Open Letter To Coach

Posted in By Mike Johns 5 comments

With the open content of these blogs, I wanted to follow up on my post from last week and send a letter I started years ago to a man who had a great impact on my life. Perhaps someone stumbles across this and knows him or he see's it. He was my high school wrestling coach at Blue Springs High School and I appreciate him very much. Thanks for listening.










Dear Coach Berry,




I just wanted to write you a letter, and express my appreciation for you. I can still remember when I was in your gym class in 10th grade, and you challenged me to wrestle for you. I am not sure if you know but my life was a real wreck before that point. I was living a grown up world at the age of 14. My mother didn’t really care where I was at, or what I was doing. In fact, she would offer to buy alcohol for me and my friends. I was hanging out with people in their early 20’s, and things were not pretty. I appreciate you stepping in and teaching me things in life that I would never have otherwise learned.




I have 2 sisters and one brother – of whom none completed more than the 9th grade, all struggle with substance abuse, and none hold steady jobs. I had the same chance to fail. In fact before coming to Blue Springs in 1988, my mother had to fight to keep the high school in Belton, MO from flunking me from missing too much school. I am often asked how I turned out OK. I reply that I had a coach who cared. A coach who taught me about life. A coach who taught me courage, character, commitment, and class! Remember the 5 C’s! Well, I do! Thanks!




I really believe that being involved with wrestling kept me off the streets, kept me away from any further substance abuse, and kept me focused. In fact the second semester of my sophomore year was the first time I had ever cared about grades. I missed a 4.0 by like 2%. Though I was not one of your top wrestlers of all time, I still learned a great deal, and count it a privilege to have learned under you. I use my wrestling skills still today as I work as a Youth Minister. In addition, I was the first to finish high school and college – in my whole family.




I have a wife of 17 years, and 3 kids. I dated my wife in high school. Micah, 13, is a future state champion, Denaia is 10, and Makenna is 4. She is the sweetest thing ever – they all enjoy our nightly ritual of wrestling! All kidding aside, I have a wonderful family, and a great life. Whether you know it or not, you had a significant part in it.




I guess what I am saying is THANKS! I appreciate your time you invested in my life, the care you gave, and everything you taught me..







Mike Johns