Break my heart for what breaks yours

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

Matthew 14 recounts the story of John the Baptist's murder. It begins as a classic story: King Herod made a foolish promise to a girl, in front of his friends and advisers, because she was pretty. 'Anything you want, I'll give you,' he said. When she returned from counsel with her mother, she asked for John's head on a platter. Herod had previously been too afraid of a riot to kill John, but because of his pride, (and because his friends were still hanging around to see what would happen) he agreed.

John's disciples went to tell Jesus what had happened. Verse 13 says, "Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself,". The verse then goes on to say that the people followed Him. There's no pause in this story between Jesus' going away and the people following behind, but it's here I want to stop.

John was Jesus' cousin. Both men were prophecies fulfilled. They were linked by God's will. John's life's work was to clear the way for Jesus. I imagine Jesus' great grief over the death of someone so integral in His life. I believe His heart was broken. As human beings, we can empathize with grief over a deceased loved one.

The more I contemplate this grief, the thought comes over me that Jesus must grieve the same way over current events, such as wars. Men killing other men, regardless if necessary, must be very painful. I can identify with that as well. And what about crime? Murders, thefts, physical abuse...those things certainly would cause Christ to mourn. Then we really get down to the heart of the matter: when I think ugly thoughts about someone, it must make my Lord grieve.

Matthew 5:28 tells us that when a man looks upon a woman with lust, that he has already committed adultery with her in his heart. The condition of our hearts are revealed in our thoughts. If I think vindictively toward someone, it's a bit like murdering them in my heart.

Understanding what breaks the heart of God helps me to learn what and how He loves. More importantly, it helps me to empathize and identify with my Creator. I realize, though, that my sinful nature will cause me to stumble, and that as hard as I strive to meditate on the things of God, I will still fail from time to time.

Being a child of God is much like being a child of my parents. I am raised by their values, and the things that are important to them are likely the things that are important to me. When I allow myself to be "raised" by God, the same thing will happen. My priorities will come in line with God's, as will my thoughts and actions.