Use me

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

It is a dream of instructors, Sunday school teachers, and parents everywhere: to hear words you've spoken to someone in a teaching moment repeated back weeks or months later. It's a feeling that can't be described; to know that something you've tried with all your heart to impart as wisdom is received and has had an impact.

The reality of how that teachable moment happens in the context of Biblical wisdom is this: not the teacher, but God. The Lord uses His people to speak His words, to pass on His message. There is a catch though.

Being God's mouthpiece means I have to do hard things. It means I have to talk to people I don't know. I have to be nice to people I don't like; be willing to have tough conversations with people I love. Mostly, it means I have to serve people, whether I feel like it or not.

Spending time with my students imparted some wisdom to me last weekend. 1 Corinthians 13 talks about the traits of God's love. When I don't exhibit one of those traits, God still does. His love will flow through me when I'm willing.

Philippians 4:5-Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.
Colossians 4:5-Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity.