What's in a Name?

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

Among the random bits of information and names from my history classes, I always remember the John Duns Scotus. Don't really remember anything about him, just that his name is the origin of the word "dunce." This brings images of old classrooms with a kid in the corner wearing the "dunce cap." What a way for your name to live on, right?

I started thinking about this last week as twitter exploded with tweets about Tim Tebow. I am very apathetic when it comes to spectator sports (Superbowl commercials are what I watch) so when I can actually name a player, his position, and his team...it is because I've been hearing about him a lot. I find it interesting that his name is becoming a verb. Type "Tebow" into Urban Dictionary and you'll get a variety of entries (some a bit more....colorful). Two of my friends also have been tweeting and retweeting about him. "James" retweets anything and everything positive, while "Alan" retweets all the criticism and negative stuff.

Though I'm apathetic about sports, this typhoon of tweets on Tebow (yay, I pulled off some alliteration) has me intrigued. Why do you think Tebow receives so much attention? And, what do you think of him?

Brett