An Instrument of Peace

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

In the movie "Miss Congeniality" there is a running joke about what is needed: "world peace" answered by every contestant. I always laugh at this, but why? Am I laughing at the desire for world peace? No, I laugh because it seems that those who say this offer no way on how to achieve it.
Below is a prayer by Francis of Assisi. Notice that he does not pray for world peace; rather, he prays to be an instrument of peace. Let this prayer be ours as well.

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon
Where there is doubt, faith,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much
seek to be consoled as to console,
not so much to be understood as to understand,
not so much to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
it is in dying that we awake to eternal life."


Cheers,
Brett
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."