No Greater Joy

Posted in By JerrodTune 0 comments

I walked into a local church at 7:30 this morning for a men’s bible study, before meeting with some teens to caravan to another local church, where they would be participating in a Youth Leadership conference, designed for core student leaders in the local churches, for a day of intensive discipleship training. In fact, as I write this, teens from my church are playing ping pong as one of the event coordinators is announcing that we will be shuttling over to another site in about 10 minutes to participate (as an encouraging wrap up for our long day of training) in a community-wide youth event at another local church for a night of worship and encouragement in the word, including a message from a local high school student. Needless to say, it has been (and will continue to be) a very long day! And I feel like I have been walking with a very elite group of people! Youth Pastors, teenagers who are committed to serving Christ and reaching their campus… and everyone here is pumped!

But the great highlight of the day has been the simple fact that there are students in my youth group who are willing to give up a whole Saturday to participate in some high octane discipleship training, for no other reason than that they are serious about being disciples – followers of Jesus. You how no idea how much that encourages me.

When I was growing up, my mom used to have a picture frame hanging in the living room, with a little plaque that read:

“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth”. 3 John 1:4


This is my theme verse today. My heart is swelling with joy in knowing that those students whom God has given me to disciple are so filled with a desire to spread truth that they are sacrificing a Saturday to be equipped for discipleship, trained for godliness. It’s a day of thankfulness.

Let me take a moment to remind anyone reading this that in whatever situation you are in life, you are called to make disciples. That may not mean that you are called to lead a bible study every week or even write a blog. But in time, talent, and treasure spent investing into other people – either unbelievers who do not know Christ, or young believers who are growing in Christ – you can teach by example and through instruction how to follow Christ. At the same time, you are in training yourself. Watch those older, seasoned believers in your life, the ones who have suffered much and born much fruit through the years, and follow their example. Be a disciple, make a disciple. “Each one teach one”. That’s our call. That’s our mission. Ready? Go.