A Simple Prayer

Posted in By Nick Smith 0 comments

Today starts a week of prayer by the Hammer on Anvil bloggers. Each of us is going to share a prayer about whatever we like and in whatever form we like. My prayer is just a simple prayer with a handful of concerns that have recently been on my heart. I ask that you join me in lifting these up to God.

Dear Lord,

Thank you so much for all of the countless blessings you continually bestow. I know that I often take many of them for granted: mine and Sesha’s health, that I have a comfortable home with air conditioning and heat, that I am never without options for food, and so much more. I thank you for all of these things and especially for the sacrifice of the cross.

Lord, with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 coming up, I want to lift up all of the families who lost a loved one. A lot of old wounds will likely be re-opened, so I pray that you will be with them to help with the healing process. I pray, too, that you bring good from this horrible situation by helping it be a reminder to others of their own mortality and how much they need you.

As you know, one of my old neighbors recently passed away after a battle with cancer. I pray for her family too Lord. I think she was a Christian, so I pray that you will help comfort her family with the knowledge that she is now in a much better place than any of us.

I’d also like to lift up some people close to me. Lord, you know their situation better than anyone. I pray that you break down the barriers keeping them from getting closer to you and open their hearts. Help them to see that you’re not looking for lukewarm belief, but for red hot devotion.

I pray too for anyone reading this who knows deep down that the situation those people are in also describes them. I pray that you help them to realize that whatever barriers they are facing are not nearly so big as they think – that you are so much bigger than any barrier and that their very life is what is at stake. I pray that they realize that you’re not looking for people to believe in you; you’re looking for people to follow you and following requires effort.

I also lift up Sesha’s friends who have recently moved to other countries. I pray that you keep them safe and that you help them to adapt to their new homes.

Lastly, I want to pray for this blog. I ask that you use it as the ministry it is intended as and that you continue to speak through the posts and comments. I pray that you open the hearts of all who read it and give them a spirit of openness to refinement. We are all sinners who need you and who need to daily lift up our crosses and follow you.

Let your will be done in all things.

I pray these things in Jesus’ name.

Amen