All you need is Love?

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 3 comments

Since its initial release in 1967, the Beatles' "All you need is Love" has been quoted referenced, even if people don't know it's the Beatles anymore. Wikipedia's article on the song calls it inspired and says it contains a clear message that love is everything. Lennon's goal was that it become a slogan for people stand behind. It is probably safe to say that he was successful. How many would actually argue against love being the answer?

A couple weeks ago (sorry I missed last week), I asked about the Francis of Assisi quote: "Preach the Gospel to all the world, and if necessary, use words." I wondered how this looks like, because most often my life doesn't look much different than the average person. If you saw me in Walmart, you might or might not immediately peg me for a Christian. I agree that words and actions need to go together, but is there any outward mark, anything that would clue someone into the fact that we are a Christian? In John 13:34, Jesus says "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (italics mine)

So, is love all that is needed? Is Lennon and other songwriters correct? Or is there something different and something more in the Christian love?

Brett