Salad Bar Christianity

Posted in By Nick Smith 0 comments

How do you like your salad? Personally, I like salads with spinach rather than lettuce, with shredded cheese, green olives (the best type of olive btw), a few croutons, and ranch dressing. Mmm-mmm, good stuff! And since I’m the one making the salad, I can make it just the way I like it.

The same concept doesn’t work with Christianity, as much as many Americans would like to think otherwise. I’m sure most of us would love to have a salad bar Christianity to some point. Give me a large helping of Heaven after I die, a little bit of compassion for the poor and needy, a whole heap of blessings, but hold the obedience. After all, I want to benefit from Christianity, but not if it actually COSTS me anything, right?

Who wants to give up those things we hold so dear? Those things that we know deep down are wrong, but we conveniently ignore that little fact and convince ourselves it’s no big deal.

But here’s the thing. Obedience to God’s will is His way of telling us how to make the absolute best, most perfect salad for us. I mean, come on, he’s God; he knows way better than we do what is best because he understands things way better than we do. He could see you piling up something that He knows is going to cause you some major, lasting discomfort later even if it will give you some temporary pleasure now. And on the flip side, he may see you ignoring something that could cause you immense benefit down the road, but you’re avoiding it because it might not taste good (i.e. it would cause temporary discomfort).

The simple fact is that with the salad of life, it’s either us making the salad or it’s God making the salad.

We are crappy salad makers. Let God make your salad.