Beyond definitions

Posted in By Brett T Kelley 0 comments

Cupcake anyone?
English can be a frustrating language. Working at the bakery, I've come to hate the F-word. Not that one, but the word fresh. People ask if the stuff in the case is fresh, but they do not in fact know what they are asking. If by fresh they mean straight out of the oven, possibly. If baked that day, the answer is yes. Most often, I think they are asking if it is "not stale," but then the answer would be, of course, yes. I once ate a coffeecake that was five days old and still tasted fresh.

The point of this small rant is first to express my irritation with the F-word but more than that to show the trouble we have at times in English. We can not use some words as accurately or concisely as is necessary. So we have to add qualifying sentences to fully express ourselves. This happens often with the word love.

Last week I asked if Love is all we really needed and if Lennon and Jesus are talking about the same thing. Now I could explain about how in Greek there is 3 (or 4) loves , φιλεο, αγαπε, and ερος (στοργε) but that would be to miss the point.

When I ask if there is a difference between how the world loves and how the Christian should love, is it more than just a matter of definition?