Do-over day

Posted in By Misti Runyan 1 comments

Ever have one of those days you wish you could just crawl back into bed and forget? That has been my day today. I have spent most of today trying to reboot my brain (completely unsuccessfully, I might add). Days like this make me wonder about God's goodness. Not that I doubt it, necessarily, just that maybe His idea of goodness and mine are VERY different.

But isn't that true? God lets us go through trials, hardships: bad days. That doesn't sound very GOOD to us. To our human minds, goodness is always the opposite of bad. When I think of my children, for instance; I don't want to see anything ever hurt them. I want them to be whole, untarnished. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way. When I get too heavy on the "I just want to give my kids what I didn't have," my husband always reminds me that the only way to learn some lessons is by experience. Even though some experiences are bad, they can all be used for good; to teach us how to stand up for ourselves and make better choices.

That's what God's version of goodness is. Yes, He lets us go through hard times. He also walks through them with us. Satan may test us (I happen to think rotten days are specifically Satan's style), but God will always be there beside us to provide a way out.

So it's with that in mind today that I am happy for this bad day. I am happy I made it out unscathed. I may have been in a terrible mood. I may have felt like I wanted to hit something several times today. But I made it out. I'm still here, and God is still with me. That's something to be thankful for.