Reliance on God

Posted in By Misti Runyan 0 comments

I've heard it said that people who give their lives to the Lord at a time of crisis have a stronger faith later in life. The idea behind this theory is that the more difficult and hopeless the situation, the larger impact God's redeeming power has in the mind of the person. For those who have been delivered in such a way, it is easier to hold onto the promise that God will never leave them nor forsake them.

This seems like bad news for those of us who did not come to the knowledge of Christ in this way. Reports abound of teenagers, raised in the church with Godly families, falling away from the church as soon as college begins and they are out from under the authority of the family who taught them to love the Lord. God Himself spoke of people whose faith faltered: "So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16. Sounds like a promise of abandonment if we don't work hard enough to love God, huh?

Which is why I believe it's important to attend church regularly. We can't get through this Christian life alone-we have to be plugged into God. That, I think more than anything else, is the key to faith-acknowledgement that we need to rely on God for all our needs.

I have recently seen the effects on my life of missing a Sunday meeting at God's house. My youngest was sick, and so I sent off the rest of the family and stayed home with her. "It's only one week," I told myself. "I will be fine." It was one of the worst weeks I've had in recent memory.

Consequently, I can't wait to be back in church this weekend. I need to re-center my perspective. I need to hear what God has to say to me in my current circumstances. Maybe it is true about faith during crisis: I haven't anticipated God's grace and mercy this much in a while.

See you there!